For those of you that have never experienced the “joys” of moving, please understand that it is an extremely stressful and demanding process, which will test the ability of any person to persevere. For those of you have that have moved before, you already know exactly what I’m talking about. In order to make things easier for you, we’ve put together this blog which will answer some of the most common questions for movers. Hopefully, we’ll cover all of your important questions, so that you’re prepared for when the big day arrives. If you still have questions, be sure to ask your professional movers, as they should have answers to any moving related quandaries. Also, if you’re thinking about taking the DIY approach, make sure that you check out some of our other blogs to understand why it’s probably cheaper and better to go with the pros.
Questions for Movers – Frequently Asked
- When should I start planning for my move? Obviously this is a big question, because you need to give yourself ample time to handle everything that must be taken care of. A good answer is two to three months before your intended moving day. This will give you time to find a moving company, transfer or shut of utilities, notify all banks/schools/etc. of the change of address, to clean, to gather materials and pack, and to take care of anything else.
- When is the best time to move? The best time to move in the United States is during the summer. Between the months of May and September, the average rainfall for most areas in the continental U.S. is at its lowest, meaning that the weather is not likely to adversely affect your move. This is also the time when school is out, and moving companies are operating at full capacity, which means that you can haggle to get the best rate.
- How long does a move take? This question is hard to answer with any specificity, because it’s subjective, and depends on the size of the move and the length of the journey. On average, local moves can take anywhere between three hours and a few days. Long distance moves will regularly be delivered within thirty business days of your first available delivery date.
- How do movers protect my stuff? Professional movers will use a variety of methods to protect belongings, including packing methods, proper labor, and insurance coverage. Experienced, professional movers will have an expert knowledge of how to pack, carefully filling all space within boxes and in the back of the truck, so that items cannot shift or move throughout. Additionally, they use top-of-the-line materials and handle each item with precision and care. Moreover, professional movers have insurance coverage, which means that any item they move will have valuation coverage so that they can be replaced in the event that something unfortunate occurs.
- Do I need an estimate? Yes, anytime that you’re moving you need to get an estimate to have an idea of what the move will cost. But, you don’t want to settle for an over-the-phone or online estimate, you need to have an on-site estimate performed (where the moving company sends an expert estimator directly to your home or business to assess the move). With the on-site, you get a binding, “not to exceed” moving quote price, which will protect you from hidden costs and unexpected fees. Also, the on-site allows the moving company to see what it will take to complete the move, which ensures that they will be able to prep for the job appropriately. The on-site estimate service should be completely free.
- What makes a moving company a “licensed” company? Anytime that you’re working with a professional mover, you want to make certain that they are fully licensed to perform your move. A licensed company has gone through the proper channels, and demonstrated an unwavering ability to complete the type of move that they are licensed to perform. They obtain licensing from the Public Utilities Commission and the Department of Transportation, both of which regulate the moving industry. Do NOT move with an unlicensed moving company.
- How do I pay for my move? Cash, check, credit, and money-order are the most common forms of payment for moving. Each company will have their own stipulations regarding forms of payment, but you can always assume that cash is king. For long distance moves, many companies accept a portion of the payment upon pickup, with the rest paid upon delivery. Also, for local moves the rate is based on a three hour minimum, while long distance moving rates are based on amount of stuff being moved, as well as, the actual distance being traveled.
- Should I pack myself or let the movers handle it? It’s always best to let professionals take care of the packing (unless you’ve got some serious skills). As mentioned above, they understand how to properly protect your belongings by meticulously filling space in boxes and on the truck. They will also use their materials to wrap and protect large items, they’ll disassemble and reassemble those items, and they’ll construct custom moving crates for all of your flat-screen TVs, artwork, antiques, and other delicate or valuable items.
Questions for Movers – Acclaimed Movers has the Answers
Hopefully this question and answer session spurs you in the right direction as you prepare for your move, but you can also help yourself by getting a free, no-obligation quote from Acclaimed Movers. For the better part of a decade, Acclaimed has provided fully comprehensive, luxury moving services, with the goal of making a lifelong customer out of each person that they help. Their relocation specialists are all seasoned professionals, who go the extra mile to make certain that each move is a pleasant, enjoyable experience. Acclaimed provides assistance from start to finish, helping with logistics and planning, materials and packing, and of course labor and transportation. Their staff is extremely knowledgeable, will answer all questions, and strives to have solutions for all of your moving problems. Residential moves, commercial moves, local, long distance, auto, storage, no matter what you need, Acclaimed Movers can help.
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Join us on Linked In
Watch us on YouTube
Good move. Acclaimed Movers is A+. They helped me move from a house to an apartment. I found them through Angie’s List. The move went very well. There were two guys, but I should have probably hired four guys. I was moving from my earlier house to my apartment as my new house was not ready yet. So, I had some things to be moved to the apartment. They were fantastic. They wrapped and put everything in the pod. They loaded the things into the moving van and brought it to the apartment. They worked for about eight hours. Nothing was broken or damaged. I would use them again in the future.