Acclaimed Moving Checklist
Moving, something most of us will do during our lifetime, is an interesting and difficult prospect. You must uproot your entire life, and then transplant it into a new location. Without the assistance of a professional moving company, like Acclaimed Movers, such a monumental task would be impossible. Luckily, there’s an abundance of professional moving companies available to you, making it easier than ever to get moving. Acclaimed Movers has also put together a checklist with some basic ideas to help keep your move organized. Organization is the key to a successful relocation, regardless of whether it’s commercial or residential, so without further ado here is the Acclaimed Moving Checklist:
Two-Three months prior to your move –
- Have you selected, and set in stone, your moving date? Now is the time to choose the perfect date and time for the relocation. This will give you ample time to make changes, should an issue arise.
- Have you begun researching the many moving companies available? Begin online, scanning through websites and peer-review sites. Once you’ve found some companies that look reputable, start gathering quotes.
Six weeks prior to your move –
- Have you gathered quotes from multiple companies? Now is the time to make a decision on who you want to move with. You should have follow up the internet research with over-the-phone and in-person research to confirm that the company you’re interested in is as reputable as they advertise.
- Have you begun sorting out what you want to move and what you want to discard? It’s the perfect time to start getting rid of the stuff that will not be making the trip with you. Local churches and charities happily accept gently used items.
One month prior to your move –
- Have you begun gathering supplies for your move? You should start gathering supplies and materials if you haven’t already, that way you can begin packing early. Also, if you haven’t discarded unwanted items, do it now so that you don’t pay to have it done later.
- Have you begun packing? Once you’ve gathered supplies, it’s time to begin packing up the stuff that will be moving with you. Set aside items that are to be discarded, and be sure to label all boxes.
- Have you confirmed your moving date with the moving company? Make sure that your moving date is confirmed, and that the company will show up on that day as requested. You should repeat this step once more as the moving day draws even closer.
Two weeks prior to the move –
- Have you notified the banks/utilities company/ post office/ etc. about the impending change of address? Now is the time to have your address officially changed, and mail forwarded to the new address. If you need your utilities turned on at the new location, schedule them to be one during the day you arrive.
- Have you packed up the house and discarded the unwanted items? By now, packing should be underway if you aren’t done already. Make sure you understand how to properly pack because it can be the difference between your move being successful and unsuccessful.
Moving Day –
- Have you set aside a parking space for the moving truck? To avoid long carry fees and adding to the labor time, make sure the moving truck can get as close as possible. This may mean reserving a spot, which can make a huge difference in the long run.
- Have your movers given you the state-mandated packet outlining the different aspects of the industry? If they haven’t provided you with this book, ask for it, as it’s available on every relocation and chalked-full of information.
- Step back and let the professionals take care of the heavy lifting. This is your time to focus on getting adjusted to your new surroundings.